While known for being the nation’s largest independent, employee-owned book publishing firm, W. W. Norton also has a growing list of digital applications that serve students, instructors, and general readers. The Lead UI/Front End Engineer will join a co-located team of New York-based UX designers, engineers, project managers, and business analysts to create exceptional products.
At Norton we believe that software engineering is a creative and collaborative endeavor. Our goal is to build happy, productive teams and processes to deliver quality products that delight W. W. Norton’s customers. The Lead UI/Front End Engineer will be responsible for building W. W. Norton’s content management and editorial publishing systems as well as e-commerce solutions. This is a hands-on technical position that requires excellent technical design and development skills.
If you come into this role, then you will be accountable for technology deliverables that adhere to high standards of quality, usability and security. You will contribute to architecting solutions, to enhancing frameworks and to producing solutions that are reusable and extendable. You will meet these expectations by working with and guiding/mentoring other team members in coding practices and agile project planning.
You will be a good fit for this role if you have a solid background in modern enterprise-class web application development using NodeJS, React/Redux and CSS. Proficiency with object-oriented programming, including software design and design patterns is also expected. You will also need an ability to master new/emerging technologies and take initiative to offer technical direction and creative solutions.
Please note – this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
Reasons that WW Norton may be the right fit for you:
· We are a company that inspires and educates people;
· We are 100% focused on teamwork and collaboration;
· We an on-site workplace so you will see your colleagues and talk to them every day;
· We use agile methodologies like scrum and test-driven development;
· We support your growth as a self-motivated, organized and proactive team member;
· We encourage learning and sharing knowledge in the office;
· Our engineering managers come from a technology background;
· We welcome diversity;
· You will have opportunity to meet and discuss your ideas with direct and senior managers through 1-on-1s and town-hall meetings;
· We are surrounded by books; many of our colleagues are avid readers and love to discuss what they’re reading;
· W. W. Norton is owned entirely by the employees, so all employees have a stake in the success of the firm;
· Our offices overlook the New York Public Library and Bryant Park in Midtown Manhattan;
· 5 years of hands-on professional software development experience
· BS (or equivalent) in Computer Science or related discipline
· Ability to work full-time in W. W. Norton’s New York Office
· Eligible to work for W.W. Norton & Company in the US
W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
About W.W. Norton & Company, Inc.
W.W. Norton & Company, headquartered in New York City, is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry”. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.